The “ah-ha” moment for the design of this card came to me when I saw this week’s color combination on the Play Date Café. I had been thinking of using a stamped image to dress up a die-cut flower, and the bright orange and pink colors seemed to be the ideal combination to make it pop.
I’ve been using embossing powder frequently on my designs lately, and this card is no exception. In order to show off the vibrant orange color against a flamingo pink background, I stamped my background image with my versamark ink pad, then embossed it with an orange embossing powder. Adding a few adhesive rhinestones to the image adds a little sparkle.
For the greeting, I hand cut a pennant from a piece of white cardstock. I wanted to emboss the Mother’s Day greeting, but I didn’t have a matching pink embossing powder, so I “double inked” my stamp: first I inked it with my versamark pad, then I colored over the versamark ink with a matching pink marker. After I stamped it, I heat embossed the greeting with a clear embossing powder. I then attached the pennant with foam squares to make it stand out a little from the background.
I used my Sizzix Big Shot die cut machine to cut out the white and orange flower pieces; on the large white flower I stamped the same swirly stamp that I used for my background – except this time I used a matching die based ink. I needed a little scalloped flower to layer into my flower, so I created one with a circle punch and a corner punch (I’ll try and post instructions for this in the next day or two). The finishing touch for the flower was to use a matching pink button in the centre, threaded with an orange ribbon that I tied in a little bow. Both the button and the flower are a little heavy, so I attached them to the card base with a few glue dots.
For me, that is one Mother’s Day card finished, and two more to make! I’ll post pictures of the next two when I get them done.
I’d love to hear from you about your favorite uses of embossing powder. Tell me in the comments section, and give a link to your favorite project using powders.